Forum Discussion

PaulPeterson1
Qrew Assistant Captain
3 years ago

Changing email in My Preferences?

One of my users recently got married and her work email address was updated.  Will it have any adverse impact on her account if she changes the email address in "My Preferences"?

------------------------------
Paul Peterson

4 Replies

• I'm pretty sure it will have no effect, but may best to ask Support if there are any edge case pitfalls.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
    AustinK
    Qrew Commander
    I've had users do it that way and other times where I do it through the admin console. I have not noticed any strange behavior yet. The user themselves is tied to an internal quickbase ID that follows them around no matter what their email is. So in dropdowns where the user is currently selected it should just keep working as expected.

However the one thing you need to watch out for is any formulas that contain hard coded emails. I try and avoid these but sometimes it is not possible and you need them. Those formulas will NOT update on their own and you need to update them to the new email yourself. You can do a schema search for their current email to see if it is contained anywhere.

This whole thing is one reason we wish we could disable users from changing their own email. I could not find a way to prevent it from happening through My Preferences. Someone could easily make a change thinking they were being helpful and break formulas they rely on.
  • I recently had to change all emails for all 120 users I have. Ran into almost no issues. Only thing I found were:

1. As Austin mentioned, be sure the email is not hard coded into any formulas.
    2. If they are an admin with connections for synced tables, you need to update those connections. This does not seem like it is relevant in your case.

Mike Tamoush
      PaulPeterson1
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      I checked with one of my contacts at Quickbase and was told as long as the SSO was not turned on there wouldn't be any problems if the user changed their email address in My Preferences.

Thank all of you for your feedback!

Paul Peterson