Forum Discussion

Re: Conditions to Conditional Dropdowns?

Create a formula text field that represents the criteria:
IF([some field]="some text",[Value A],[Value B])​and then use this field as the matching field in the CDD. The criteria can be setup lots of different ways, I just did a sample [Field]="some text".

------------------------------
Blake Harrison
bharrison@datablender.io
DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
Atlanta GA
404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

4 Replies

MichaelTamoush
    Qrew Captain
    Yeah, that is how I usually handle it. In this case, on the foreign (related table) I have nothing to go on to make my formula. The formula I need depends on what is currently being chosen by the user where the conditional dropdown is. Meaning, the formula would have to be:

If( [the field in a different table being chosen currently that isn't related to this yet] = "Certain Condition", "Value A", "Value B")

Mike Tamoush
      BlakeHarrison
      Qrew Captain
      This is what I would typically call a 'non-standard' use-case because it falls outside of how something is typically structured within Quick Base. I remember you asking something similar in another thread - can you explain your use case with a little more detail? Specifically:
      • How are the two tables related? (not in a technical, Quick Base relationship way, but in a business sense)
      • Why are there two possibilities for this conditional and what does each one represent?
      • What business logic is used by the User when they are entering the Parent record to decide between Value 1 and Value 2?

Blake Harrison
      bharrison@datablender.io
      DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
      Atlanta GA
      404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
        MichaelTamoush
        Qrew Captain
        On one side, I have a Trip (to a specific site), then an employee assigned to that trip, and then project assigned to that employee (that they will work on once on site).

The other, is a list of projects. There are many different types of projects (warranty, standard, emergency, etc. Projects are labeled via a formula).

First use case: Select a site for the trip, and assign employees. When you go to assign projects, it uses a conditional dropdown. On my projects table, there is a formula 'Type of Trip and Site' (ie WarrantySanFrancisco). In the first table, the user selects type of trip from a drop down, the site is pulled in from a lookup field from the trip, and boom, there is your 'Type of Trip and Site'. Beautiful, works like a charm.

The catch: Some trips require hopping to various sites. This is a selection because one 'site' is titled, 'various sites'. Hence where the rabbit hole starts. I was trying to avoid them literally adding every site they are visiting (though that would cause the same issue I am having). We wanted a 'various sites' selection. So now, type of trip and site is something like 'WarrantyVarious'. Which obviously will never match my formula. (under the various selection, the user would see a list of ALL projects from ALL sites, versus narrowing it down)

So in the end, I need one conditional rule for use during a specific site selection, and another during a various site selection.

Right now the work around (as suggested by Mark Shnier), is 3 formula fields. Two have different conditional dropdown rules for each scenario. The third is the 'final' relationship where all the lookups come from. Utilize dynamic rules to hide and fill in as appropriate. Working, but I was seeing if there were other options when working with conditional dropdowns.

Mike Tamoush