Forum Discussion

Re: Kanban vertical sorting

I know this is an old post, but since I found a new solution I thought I would share.

when you enable sortable kanban on a table, a hidden field is added to that table. The hidden field is called "KanbanPriorityOrder", and the order is saved in this hidden field as a number.
Unfortunately since it is hidden, you cannot order reports on this field, so we have to copy it to a newly created field.

my solution requires 2 main steps.
1. adding a new numeric field to a table (eg. kanban-sort-copy) , (I manually set all existing records to value of 1000)
2. using a webhook to copy the kanban sorting order into this field, whenever sort order is changed.

I will only talk about step 2

here is my webhook (API_EditRecord)
<qdbapi>
<udata>mydata</udata>
<usertoken>%user.token.xxx_xxx_xxxx.testingJohnny%</usertoken>
<apptoken>[xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]</apptoken>
%RepeatOn%
<rid>[Record ID#]</rid>
<field fid="77">[KanbanPriorityOrder]</field>
%RepeatOff%
</qdbapi>

I manually typed in the [KanbanPriorityOrder] after I found it's name using the restful API (it does not show up in the dropdown of fields)
field 77 is my new numeric field that I created.
this webhook looks for all updated records and then copies the kanbanPriorityOrder to the new field.

Now I just sort reports using my new field.
so far it is working well for me.

------------------------------
Johnny Niumata

4 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew Champion
    Thx for posting this.  I did not test it all out,  but I did take note of the fid of my highest numbered field, then enabled Kanban in Advanced Properties and then added another field.   The fid of the new field "skipped" a number, as your discovery would suggest it would as the new hidden field took up the next fid.

Also, rather than a webhook, I simply created a formula numeric field called [Kanban Priority Order mirror] with the formula

[KanbanPriorityOrder]

Although the formula editor complained in yellow, in fact the field did save without errors and worked just fine on a table report  as a column or a sort field.  So no Webhook is required.

Thx for the tip.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JohnnyNiumata
      Qrew Member
      good idea to use formula numeric.
      I'm new to quickbase, so not sure when to use the correct method.
      is there a way to change formula so that if it is empty or zero to set the value to a high number so that non-sorted items are lower in the order?

Johnny Niumata
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        I don't think it can be empty or zero.  I believe that when you first enable the Kanban on he Advanced Properties of the table it orders them by the default sort field - ie the sort set on the default report which might just be by highest date modified first, if it was not changed.

When you enable the feature there is a pop up message saying to "wait a sec while I do some work".  I'm guessing that  it is then going ahead to create that new field and then assigning a value to all existing records.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com