I manage all my users via several groups, each of which is assigned a particular user role. Today I went to the 'manage groups' screen and clicked on a group to view its members, and was met with the message 'Error - Group not Found'. The same thing is happening for several other groups, but not all of them. However, the groups all still appear to exist, as my users are all still able to access my app and perform the tasks etc. which are assigned to them via the group they belong to. Email notifications which are sent to these groups are still being sent.
I've logged out and logged back in, tried different browsers, cleared my cache - but the error message is still stubbornly showing up. Any ideas what to do about this?
Are you talking about the Groups tab in the admin section? If so, I just checked and mine is working so I would put in a customer support ticket. I will say, it took an exceptionally long time to load the group when I clicked on it. Not sure if that is coincidence or there is something up...
Hi! Yup, it's under the 'Users' tab; both the 'Manage Groups' button (upper right of the Users screen) and the 'Group' tab under 'Access via' (menu at the left of the screen) display all my group names as normal, but for 7 out of 12 groups, if I click the hyperlink to view the group properties, available actions, etc. I just get the QuickBase error "Error - Group Not Found" (screenshot below).
I followed your suggestion and entered a Support ticket on Thursday. Per the updated response I just got, it sounds like this is an existing bug that's currently being worked on.