Forum Discussion

ElenaLarrabee1
Qrew Captain
2 years ago

Open iframe record links in new tabs

Hello everyone! I have made custom HTML/CSS pages for our team to clock in and out. The HTML page is their home page. I currently have it set up so that they can see an iframe with a report of any active time sheets, which they can then click and edit. The issue I have is that, of course, clicking on a record in the iframe report just opens the record form within the iframe, then clicking the home icon in the QB UI within the iframe takes them back to their home HTML page within the iframe, leading to an infinite mirrored effect... I tried about everything I could think of to make the record open in the parent window, but I finally figured out that I would have to change the html of the iframe itself. 

The only idea I've come up with is to make the records in the iframe report un-clickable within QB settings, and then create a button next to it that will simply take them directly to the same report. But, that seems very clunky to me, and I don't know how to disable/hide the button in the absence of any relevant records. 

Does anybody have any idea how to get around this? I was so excited to create a more user friendly time sheet interface for the team, and this one issue is ruining it. 

Thank you for any input!! 

#iframe #codepages ​​​​​

------------------------------
Elena Larrabee

7 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    If you suffix all your URLs with
    &ifv=1
    it will suppress the native headers.  But then you have to plan ahed as  to how they navigate.  For example if they are on a Table report, you need to suppress the edit and view options and provide your own buttons instead.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ElenaLarrabee1
      Qrew Captain
      Bless you Mark, thanks SO MUCH. 

Is there a way to hide the UI and still show save&close buttons? 

The only other thing I'm struggling with at this point is trying to get the iframe to dynamically resize when it opens the form, but if I can't make it work I'll just set it to open in a new window, which works to get things popped out of the iframe.

Elena Larrabee
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger
        I'm actually Cycling this week so it's hard for me to respond, especially during the day. The easiest way to auto save is to navigate away from the record. Like send the user to some kind of homepage. But there is another option if you want to land the user on the newly saved record.
        Where do you want to learn the user with this homegrown Shiva and close button?

mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ElenaLarrabee1
      Qrew Captain
      Or, alternatively, and I'm sure this is super simple but I can't figure it out: how do I make a formula url save&close button?

Elena Larrabee
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger
        OK, Plan A which is KISS is just to label URL formula button as Save and the code would land them on some page.  That should work unless the only edits are in the grid edit children.   If that's a possibility, then we have to go to Plan B.

mark.shnier@gmail.com