Forum Discussion

DomDeCinti
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Change look up field value

Hello,

I have two tables, A (parent) and B (child). Table B is populated by an integration at the end of each week. The integration brings over a number of important fields, including a job number field. Each record in Table A has a job number field which is used as the look-up field in Table B. 

When the record in Table B is created, I want A.JobNumber to be set to B.JobNumber. I am not sure how to change this look-up field automatically based on the child job number field.

Thank you,

------------------------------
Dom DeCinti

2 Replies

DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Dom,

Look Up fields pass information from a Parent Record to a Child Record.   So if Table A is the Parent in your architecture, information from Table B cannot be a look up field in Table A.

Here is a quick ERD that shows the behavior.

Do you actually want Table B to be the parent table in your application so that Table can inherit (Look Up) fields from Table B?

The architectural choice is dependent on the business process rule.

So assuming that you have something like Customers and Orders as the two tables.   The typical arrangement is to say that Customers are the parent table and Orders is the child table.  Your external integration might bring over new order records every week that have to be related to the parent Customer table.   In the Customer Table you can create Summary Fields to tell you things like total revenue for the week from the Orders records.

Does this help or is your question about different issue?

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
  • Hi Dom!

If A.JobNumber is the key field on the Parent table then you can set B.JobNumber as the Related field in the child table. This will automatically join the tables when the child record is created.

Sharon Faust
    Founder, Quick Base Junkie
    https://quickbasejunkie.com