Why is QuickBase so painfully slow

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Why is QuickBase so painfully slow. Especially when trying to scroll down. Still don't like the new QuickBase.
Photo of Patricia

Patricia

• 40 Points

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Mark_Shnier

Mark_Shnier

• 590 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
What browser are you using?  IE 7 and 8 are brutal.  Firefox and Chrome are fast - I hear IE 9 and 10 are better, but probably not as fast as the other two, but no longer "brutal". (but the IE's have better features for freezing column headings and left side columns on a table report.
Photo of dwhawe

dwhawe, Champion

• 876 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
There are many factors that affect performance.  Size and structure of your tables.  Complexity of roles. Relationships, Report-links, URLs to other applications, format of your Table Home Pages and many more from within QuickBase.

The device you are using can also be a factor.  How much RAM you have, the video card, what other software is open and using resources.

I have grown to like the new UX and have found that with sufficient resource on the device as well as tuning of the application structure, we are not experiencing slow performance.  As a matter of reference, I manage an Enterprise account with over 600 applications and 400 users.

We did find that the new UX consumes about 30% more RAM than the classic.

And as stated by Mark, your choice of browser is important.
Photo of Sybil

Sybil

• 0 Points
...and we haven't supported IE7 as a browser choice for a year now. See http://quickbase.intuit.com/blog/2012/06/10/ie7-sunset-coming-august-2012-2/ for details.
Photo of Eliza

Eliza

• 60 Points
There were some performance issues this AM. Please see our service page at http://service.quickbase.com/ for more details on the degraded service.
Photo of dwhawe

dwhawe, Champion

• 876 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
I thought I posted this as a comment and not an answer
Photo of Powen

Powen

• 0 Points
However awsome answer. I`m wondering at what size would the quickbase get painfully slow.
Photo of Drew

Drew

• 492 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I'd also suggest if you have continuing issues with app performance you should put in a support case.  In some cases they may be able to identify things in your app that are affecting performance.  That being said, we were having issues with app performance for two of our apps that seemingly occurred during the same times each day.  Put in a support case and within a few hours customer support determined that another application from another customer, which shared a server / bandwidth / some damn thing with our app was hogging all the resources.    Apparently they did huge scheduled data transfers once or twice a day and it just chewed up performance for others as well and slowed two of our apps to a crawl.  At any rate, they got our app moved elsewhere in magic server land and the thing runs lightning quick again.  So i'd suggest putting in a support case if it is a problem that is occurring regularly.  Quickbase customer support people are generally awesome and in my experience really want to fix any issues you're having.