Forum Discussion

Re: Using arguments with "Call Another Pipeline" function

Well the positive spin about that, is that at least they must be planning for it to happen at least.

I just discovered that an Automation can access the Record ID# of a previous Add Record Step. Never knew that and they say its been there all along.

------------------------------
Mark Shnier (YQC)
Quick Base Solution Provider
Your Quick Base Coach
http://QuickBaseCoach.com
mark.shnier@gmail.com

2 Replies

JoshWeeman
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    So in a complete turnaround, I was later told by Quickbase support the exact opposite of what I was told in my first two inquires: Passing arguments between Pipelines does in fact work, and it works perfectly for my use case. I only wish it hadn't taken me an entire week of pulling teeth out of multiple support reps to get a correct answer.

I now have a multiple pipelines chained together by passing the target record ID (and more) to the subsequent pipelines.  The nicest advantage I have realized from this is the ability to have multiple variations of my "Step 1" pipelines, with various triggers, and have them all continue to one unified "Step 2" pipeline that has the same chain of actions for all cases.  That means you can easily augment the trigger and initial actions without have to rebuild/duplicate the long chain of following actions that result.

I will attempt to upload the screencast that was shared with me that shows how to do it.  

Josh Weeman
      BrianRichardso1
      Qrew Trainee
      Josh I just wanted to say thank you for this quick video, it got me past a hurdle and opened up a whole world of possibilities!  I used Callable Pipelines to iterate over multiple paged results from a JSON request.  I passed the page number argument through from a "Calling" pipeline to the pipeline that actually made the request to the other app's API.  

ie "https://gitlab.com/api/v4/groups?page={pagenumberfromcallingpipeline}"

Brian Richardson