Forum Discussion

CharlotteMorin
Qrew Cadet
7 years ago

Can I create a dropdown field that narrows results as I type?

Users want to search for Company names.  I'd like them to be able to start typing in the search box, for example "S-E-A-T-T" and as they type, the possible company names that match what they are typing pop up.  As they type more letters, the list gets shorter.  Can that be done in QuickBase? 

5 Replies

• If the user types very quickly, then the list will position.  For example if you type SE - then it  will position to SE
  • OK, you had said in your title a drop down list, so I though it was a drop down list on a form.

Are you looking at a report and using the filter box on top of the report?  have you enabled that filer box on top of your report?  The setting is near Dynamic filters.
  • No..... it's not on a report.

The question is actually coming in up in two scenarios.

First, on the home page, we have a "quick search", in this case for the Company table.  I think it is correct to say it's a "search widget."  You position the widget when you are customizing the page, then tell it what table to search.  I would like the user to be able to type in the resulting box, and have it show results from the table, as determined by what they type, as they are typing.  The way it works though is that you type, then you click the magnifying glass, and you get the results all at once.

Second, on dropdown fields that are looking at the company name, you click on the dropdown and get a line that says "browse choices."   This takes you to a separate screen where you can enter a partial name in the search box - but again, the list doesn't change dynamically as you type.

The reason this matters is that we have a bunch of impatient users (executives) and some company names that are pretty similar, or that can be spelled in several not-quite-identical ways.  For example "KeyBank" vs "Key Bank."  We are trying to avoid getting duplicates of companies with different spellings.  Also, several of our other systems work in this way, so we'd also like it to be consistent for ease of training, if possible.

thanks for your help!
  • OK, so if do you want to have the report results dynamically filter as you type, rather than use a search widget on the dashboard, I suggest you simply put a button there which will run a "list all" customer report,  And as these executives start to type the list will get shorter.

The Browse choices pop up window comes up if you force what is called the record picker or if you have more than 1,000 record to chose from.  You are correct, that does not dynamically filter.  I agree that  would be a nice feature, so User Voice  is an option to request that enhancements and then try to get Forum users to vote for it.