Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Eyeball and Pencil png

• 1.  Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-21-2022 19:02
    Do the edit and view eyeball and pencil png exist somewhere? I want my user to be able to view and edit a record, but I want the record to open to a specific form. My users are very used to clicking on the eyeball and pencil so I thought I could probably get close to creating it by creating buttons with those images. Not sure how it will look or work, but thought I would give it a try!

Unless anyone else has good ideas on how to be sure my user lands on the correct form when viewing a record.

------------------------------
    Mike Tamoush

• 2.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-22-2022 14:10

In the 'Forms' menu you can control which forms a user sees when in view, edit or add mode based on user role:

Jeff Peterson

• 3.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-22-2022 14:17
    I should have been more specific. I want to have a single report, but when they view a record, depending on a checkbox on the record, have the user launch into one of two forms (I would love to also remove the native edit button....because for them to edit the record they will need a custom edit button when they aren't on the default form).

With a custom button, I can control that, and I figured if I made it look like the eyeball, it would at least have a similar feel to what users are used to.

Mike Tamoush

• 4.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-22-2022 14:20
    Jeff, Mike is asking if those icons are available to down load as he wants to make similar icons which view or edit on a specific form .. .... &dfid=10, for example.

I think Mike will need to go to to google images and search on eye icons 

https://www.google.com/search?q=eye+icons&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjfw66sqtr2AhXisHIEHa-7Bm4Q2-cCegQIABAA&oq=eye+icons&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMgYIABAFEB4yBggAEAUQHjIGCAAQBRAeMgYIABAFEB4yBggAEAUQHjIGCAAQBRAeMgYIABAFEB4yBggAEAUQHjoHCCMQ7wMQJ1CADVjZGmCtHWgAcAB4AIABWogBlgWSAQE4mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=EhM6Yt_yOOLhytMPr_ea8AY&bih=914&biw=1634

or edit pencil icons
    https://www.google.com/search?q=edit+pencil+icons&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjCo6mvqtr2AhXlsHIEHT50BEUQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=edit+pencil+icons&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoHCCMQ7wMQJzoFCAAQgAQ6BggAEAcQHjoECAAQQzoICAAQBxAFEB46CAgAEAgQBxAeUNoKWKMgYMYiaABwAHgAgAFziAH9CJIBAzcuNZgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=GRM6YoKzCOXhytMPvuiRqAQ&bih=914&biw=1634

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-22-2022 16:15
    Thanks Mark. I'll probably just grab an image of a search like the one you suggested. I was hoping someone had some slick way of extracting the current pencil and eyeball as a png or jpg.

Mike Tamoush

• 6.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-23-2022 03:41
    Hi,

The images can be found at icon_eye_gray.png and icon_pencil_gray.png in https://assets-cflare.quickbasecdn.net/css/themes/classic/images/icons/ - I tried to paste in the full url, but they were displayed as icons.

We had a scenario that could not be met using role-based form rules and tried to direct users to different forms in this way; it worked okay, but controlling the screen flow when a record was saved after editing without tying ourselves in knots was a problem.

It would be great to be able to additional logic to determine which forms to display in situations where using form rules within a single form is inappropriate.

Jeremy Anson

• 7.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-23-2022 12:06
    Edited by Austin K 03-23-2022 12:06
    A rich text field can be used to do exactly what you are asking for here. Display it as the first column of the report and disable the editing and viewing records option in the report to prevent the native edit/view. I have done this in a table in the past I assume for similar reasons you are looking at doing it.

I cannot post the whole formula here but you need a variable for your editURL, viewURL and the style you want associated with it. The style is the main bit that will make it appear as you want it to. Then just show the icons in the rich text field and make them a link. I just do it by controlling the dfid of the URL and adjusting it based on the record, sounds like that would work for you too.

• 8.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-23-2022 12:17
    Austin,

I agree, I think that's exactly what I can do. The only thing I don't like, and I doubt there is a good solution, is that my users are very used to simply clicking the edit button to edit the record. I'll have to somehow make an edit button really big on the alternate form, to try to persuade them to use it.

Too bad we can't either remove the native edit button in this case, or better yet would be AWESOME if the native edit button landed them on whichever form they are on when they press it.

Mike Tamoush

• 9.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-24-2022 06:53
    Mike, in a lot of my forms where I have this situation, I use the &ifv=1 trick to get rid of the native edit & save buttons....but I LOVE the idea of the edit button taking to you to edit version of the form they're on.  Fingers crossed that maybe that comes in the forms overhaul I hear is on the horizon

Jeremy Myer

• 10.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-30-2022 15:40
    Jeremy,

Perhaps this behavior has always been this way, or maybe it is new, but I just discovered this.

If you use a button to launch into a certain form, then the native edit button will put you on the default form no matter what.

However, if you override form settings by report, and set it to launch to a different form from that report, then the native edit will land you on the alternate form.

Mike Tamoush

• 11.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-31-2022 07:43
    Hey Mike, thanks for the feedback.  Yep, I know about those options to override by report, however my use case is a little different.  

I have a Bill of materials for our product.  (Parent Product has many children components)

My group does testing & analysis, so when we do analysis of the component parts after testing, there is a different checksheet for each component type.  so based on the [Type] Field, I need to utilize a different form; I use a case() argument in the view/edit button logic to call the right form.

But your comment got me thinking there are other places I need to go back and confirm if the override by report would make anything simpler.

Thanks!

Jeremy Myer

• 12.  RE: Eyeball and Pencil png

Posted 03-31-2022 10:31
    Jeremy,

Yeah, I have the same use case in use in one spot. But I didnt realize the override settings option did in fact make the native edit land on the alternate form. So I will use that in as many places as possible.

But I will have the same issue as you in a couple spots, needing a button to direct them to the right form, but then the native edit being an issue....

Mike Tamoush