Forum Discussion

danieldaniel
Qrew Cadet
7 years ago

I would like to make an entire table read only except for a few fields for certain roles

Hi

I would like to make an entire form read only except 5 fields where a specific role can edit. 

Currently, for my permissions for this role, I have Modify all records and for the field selection I have it set to modify for the 5 fields previously mentioned. Why is it that the user can still go in and right click every field to add, remove, and edit?

Even when do not allow any modifications, users for this role are still able to right click and add, remove, and edit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

10 Replies

• Also, in the App Access settings, i have "edit app structure and permission" unchecked. Not sure if this would have anything to do with it.
  • It not seem impossible that regular users in just 1 role which is a role which does not have the ability to edit the app structure and is set at at "Basic Access" or "Basic Access with sharing" would be able to edit form properties.

Also check the column in permissions to confirm that Role cannot edit field properties.
  • Hi Daniel,

Are you making use of an Everyone on the Internet User? Also do you have the checkbox for Edit field properties checked on that table for that role?
  • Thank you for the reply.

Their App Level Permission is set to basic.

Currently, I have the "edit field" checked because I want this role to modify a specific fields. I also have custom access so that the user is able to edit those fields.

I believe i do not have "everyone on the internet user" set.
  • You are mixing up allowing a user to edit data in fields with edit field properties.  You should uncheck that setting.

If you want to control the ability to edit fields at the field level them you need to go into each field individual and set the role access.

Typically I would do that via form rules and not field properties thought. I suggest that you use form rules.

Mark
  • Mark is correct, that checkbox to Edit Fields is to allow that role the ability to edit the field settings on the back end. It gives them access to adjust their own field permissions and change things about the field types, display settings, etc. 
  • Thanks Mark. You are spot on in my situation.

How would I be able set up form rule for specific users? Say I would like "Role A" to only edit Field 1 and Field 2
  • You would need to make a form rule
    When the user is in the role Role A

Make read only
    .. and then you will need to list every field that you need to lock down in separate actions.

ie you cannot make just certain fields editable, you need to make all the other fields non editable.