Forum Discussion

RAFAELVALCARCE1
Qrew Trainee
8 years ago

Application variables

Is it possible to create a table where defined application variables could be updated? How fields of this table could be defined to call the application variable

11 Replies

• Not natively. But you can create a table called Settings with 1 record in it. It will be Record ID number 1.

Then in any tables where you need values from that single record., you can create a formula numeric field with a formula of 1 and relate that table to the the Settings table and look up values

Set access permissions for the Settings table to the appropriate Roles.
      RAFAELVALCARCE1
      Qrew Trainee
      Thank you for your response. You mean doing it with or without creating parent-child relation. I would like to do it avoiding this relation if possible. How do I create  a formula numeric that refers to a field value of another table? and automatically get that value?
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      If you make a formula numeric field with a formula of 1 it will calculate to a 1
      RAFAELVALCARCE1
      Qrew Trainee
      My question is related to the first one. I manage to make a formula in table 2 that is able to include the same value in all records in an specific fielt refering to a variable. ToNumber([var1]). This was ok. But to change the value is not very practical to go to the application variable menu to change the varialble value. This is the reason why I wanted to create a table to access to edit these variable values. I am new with quicked and I have not idea what an API is and where I have to put it or write it. I assume is not easy but could you give me a clue or a document where it is explaned. I ckeck the user guide, but where API functions are defined, but this does not help me. I have not a clue how it works 
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      If you are not comfortable with llearning APIs then a solution without APIs was posted as my first suggestion.

If you want to learn about APIs I put an app in the Exchange called APIs for Dummies. It's a good starting point on the basics for making a URL formula button to do something. I have never done an API myself to update an Application variable and I'm not sure when I will have time to test that.
  • Thank you Mark!

We use Application Variables in an app for running & tracking special projects.   There are three sub-dashboards with dedicated reports to track a project, and the project name is in a field within the records for a project.   

That project name field is also set to an Application Variable, when they match a project's records will show on its dedicated project dashboard (1, 2 or 3)

For example:
    Application Variable  |  Data Field for a project
    [SpecialProjectFlex1]=[Project]

I used a report level Logical / Checkbox formula field to make this test.  When this is true, the records will display.

With your suggestion above I was able to make a simple report on the main dashboard to show what the active projects are and which dashboard they use.

• I made a report in the main table to show only record #1.  (I had to show at least one record for the report to work.  There is nothing within record #1 that was needed.)
    • I made a report formula Text field to show the contents of the three Application Variables with plain text to say which dashboard each is associated with:

• In the report I only show that formula field.  (Again, nothing from record #1 matters for this to work.)
    • I added that report on the top of the main dashboard next to the buttons for the three project specific dashboards.
    It looks like this:

Now anyone can tell at a glance which dedicated dashboard they need for the project they are assigned to.

Thanks for the idea!

- David in Tucson