Forum Discussion

HeatherBryant2
Qrew Assistant Captain
6 years ago

Automation to Trigger Notification

Hello, I've set up an automation to run daily and to check a checkbox field when a record meets certain criteria. This is working fine. I've set up a email notification to be sent when the automation marks the checkbox as true. This part isn't working. The only criteria in the email notification is to send when the checkbox field changes to true. I followed the same suit as this post

Does anyone have troubleshooting tips?

8 Replies

• Are you running a table-to-table import to update your records?  If so; it is probable that your email is being read as a multi-record import update; not a single-record update - so your emails are not firing out.  Consider a subscription report daily to notify you of records updated the previous day. 

If the email fires out when you change a single record; but not on the import - then set the email to notify you on multi-record changes and see if you still get an email.  It may not be nearly as useful; but it would still fire if that is the issue.
  • Laura (above) is correct. You cannot cause we ndividual emails to be triggered by running an Automation.

So there are two choices I can recommend.

The first, like Laura suggested, is to to create a Subscription report to be received by an internal person and make a formula URL field to be able to push a button in each record on that day's report to update a field to trigger an email. The report will refresh with one less record on each click, so 100 records =100 clicks.

Alternatively, I can implement a script which will let you push 1button to that button pushing for you. It runs slow enough to be seen by Quick Base as individual changes and hence will trigger emails,. The script runs at the rate of about 3 or 4 per second.

Contact me off line at QuickBaseCoach.com for the 2nd solution or post back here for help with the first solution.
      VedPrasad
      Qrew Member
      Is the second option still available? Because need a method to send custom emails with custom report.

------------------------------
      Ved Prasad
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Ved, you can contact me directly by email.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
      RobinMcintosh
      Qrew Trainee
      I know this is an old post, but I can't find anything else on the issue.  My question is are there any plans for QB to allow the individual notifications when multiple records are edited through automation?

For now, I'll be running a subscription report for a team to manually edit specific records so that the individual notifications go out to the respective recipients, but was really hoping I could get this done through automation.

Robin Mcintosh
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        You can use a Pipeline to do the updates and they will fire individual Notifications.
        I actually have a script that is failing and will be deprecated soon anyways as it uses javascript in the button. So I will know tomorrow for sure that this will work as I'm going to fire off about 50 or so emails in a "live' test of the  replacement process.

To be perfectly transparent thought when I asked QuickBase support if it was a recommended practice to use a pipeline to fire the individual notifications and they said it's not recommended or guaranteed to work and you should use the Outlook or Gmail channel to fire the notifications. But I don't really want to go to the extra effort as the notifications are already negatively built. So I'm just going to do it the easy way and I'll find out if it complains.

I think the only issue will be if the updates to QuickBase happen faster than QuickBase can accept the updates.  But I also assume under the covers they must know that you're updating the Quickbase record and would not flood quick base with API calls faster than it could handle.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com