Forum Discussion

NenadIlic
Qrew Assistant Captain
7 years ago

Compare values with values from previous month

Is it possible to store values from report, for example from previous month, so that the progress and the differences can be shown in the following month?

I have a list of ongoing projects that show contract values for the next 6 months, and on a monthly basis it needs to be reported to the management. Now each month this report needs to be send, and for it to hold CURRENT ongoing projects and contract values, and PREVIOUS.

Any ideas on how to achieve this?

Kind regards, 

Nenad

30 Replies

• Here is how I would do it.  If you choose to follows this and get stuck on any steps post back.

1. Set up a child table to Projects called Project History. Add fields for any values that you want to capture. 
    2. Set up a saved table to table copy to copy all Active Projects into Project history and map the [Record ID#] field into [Related Project] and map the various data fields.
    3. Make report of Active Projects needing their History recorded.  This will be filtered where the maximum date created of the child records is not during the current month.
    4. Make a formula URL button on the Projects record to record the history and refresh the report. (which will now be blank).
    5. Subscribe to a daily report of Projects needing their history copied.
    I will post that formula soon and how to use the history. Gotta do a call now. 
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      OK, so next is that if you just need to get some numerical values floated up to the Project, from the most recent History with the highest Record ID#.  That can be done by having a Summary Maximum of the [Record ID#] on the Project, and lookup down to the Project History.  The do another summary maximum of the Project value subject to he condition that the [Record ID#] is the same as the Summary Maximum Record ID#.

The formula to run that import will be something like

var text URL = urlroot() & "db/' & [_DBID_PROJECT_HISTORY] & "?act=API_RunImport&ID=10;

"javascript:" &
      "$.get('" & 
      $URL & 
      "',function(){" &
      "location.reload(true);" &
      "});" 
      & "void(0);
      NenadIlic
      Qrew Assistant Captain

Hi, thank you very much for this it seems it could be extremely useful :)

Is it possible to organize a quick webex session to cover some of these parts, since I have couple of questions and would like to avoid asking tons of questions in a wall of text?

My private email is ilic_nenad@ymail.com.

Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Nenad Ilic
      NenadIlic
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Hi Mark, so here is the situation and hopefully you'll be able to help me proceed step by step (or clarify how some of the tasks are done from above).

I have 3 Tables:
      1. Project Manager (list of users)
      2. Customer profile
      3. Project
      where tables 1 and 2 are connected with the Project table in a following manner:
      Project manager - Project (one to many)
      Customer profile - Project (one to many)

Now I've created Project history table (where I want to save monthly data) and have created the following fields:
      • Project Name (Project table)
      • Customer name (origin in Customer profile, but is part of Project table via relationship)
      • Cutomer region (origin in Customer profile, but is part of Project table via relationship)
      • Project Manager (origin in Project Manager table, but is part of Project table via relationship)
      • Annual Contact value (Project table)
      • Target date (Project table)
      • Status (Project table)

Now going back to your steps (lets cover 1st steps 1, 2):
      1. Set up a child table to Projects called Project History. Add fields for any values that you want to capture.
      I've created a table with information from above. Am I supposed to define the field identically to the field they would be getting information from? (example: text - text; multiple choice - multiple choice) or is there some other way

2.Set up a saved table to table copy to copy all Active Projects into Project history and map the [Record ID#] field into [Related Project] and map the various data fields.
      How can I do this, would it be a problem to explain it a bit?

3. Make report of Active Projects needing their History recorded.  This will be filtered where the maximum date created of the child records is not during the current month.

To create this from Projects table? How to achieve the second part maximum date created of the child records is not during the current month?