Forum Discussion

SalesInfo
Qrew Assistant Captain
6 years ago

Create email button on the form that contains long body text

I want to create a email button on the form to open outloook and send directly to the customer. I use formula URL below

"mailto:"&""&[PR - CR - Email]&"\n"&"?subject="&"\n"&URLEncode([subject1_Warranty Determination]) &""&"&body="&""&([Email body])&"&"

The field [Email body] is a formula text. It works fine if the email body [Email body] is short, which means that I click a button, an outlook window opens up. However, I add a long body text, nothing has came up. Can anyone please advice on how to create a button email that can have a long body formatted text?

Thank you!

21 Replies

• You are creating a URL and URL may not have spaces or special charaters in them, so you need to URLEncode the body too

"mailto:" & [PR - CR - Email]
    & "?subject=" & URLEncode([subject1_Warranty Determination])
    & "&body="    & URLEncode([Email body])

SalesInfo
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      For the button (Formula URL)
      "mailto:"&""&[PR - CR - Email]&"\n"&"?subject="&"\n"&URLEncode([subject1_Warranty Determination]) &""&"&body="&""&([Email body1_Warranty Determination])&"&"

For the [subject1_Warranty Determination] (Formula rich text)
      "Warranty Determination - PO#     Ticket#    Customer Name "

For the [Email body1_Warranty Determination] (Formula Text)

"Ticket #\nPO#\nCustomer Name:\n\nDear Service Center,\n\nGxi,  like any other manufacturer, we cover manufacturing defect. \n\nWe adopted  and follow the same process that many other manufacturers� have:\n\n1. They do not warrant products that are outside of the warranty period\n2. They do not warrant products that are customer abuse\n3. They do not warrant services that are routine maintenance\n4. They do not warranty products sold 2nd hand or through auction\n5. They do not warrant freight damage  if the customer did not note the damage at the time of delivery\n\nTicket #\nPO#\nCustomer Name:\n\nDear Service Center,\n\nGxi,  like any other manufacturer, we cover manufacturing defect. \n\nWe adopted  and follow the same process that many other manufacturers� have:\n\n1. They do not warrant products that are outside of the warranty period\n2. They do not warrant products that are customer abuse\n3. They do not warrant services that are routine maintenance\n4. They do not warranty products sold 2nd hand or through auction\n5. They do not warrant freight damage  if the customer did not note the damage at the time of delivery\n\n[IF THIS IS A MOWER] Prior to shipping, we sent _____________________ a pre-shipping notification on how to receive his mower and to note any and all damage at the time of delivery. It is to avoid freight damage issues �after the fact�.  We tested the product before it was shipped to ensure everything worked properly. He has used it extensively for commercially and has __XXX___ hours on it. See our comments below in yellow on each of the issues below: \n\nProblem 1 -  Unless there is a manufacturing defect, we do not cover this. We will cover the ignition switch as a courtesy but customer pay $16 for labor (customer covers the rest).\nProblem 2 � this is not a manufacturing defect.\nproblem 3 � this also not a manufacturing defect.\nProblem 4 -� adjustments are also not a manufacturing defect.\nProblem 5 � We may cover this as a courtesy. We will send a prepaid label to get this hydro back to determine warranty coverage. \nThis is a user issue. Customer are to follow the recommended maintenance schedule to ensure nuts, bolts, cables, are tightened. This also not a manufacturing defect.\n\nParts requested: \nXXXX - quote customer for parts and labor\nXXXXX  � quote customer for parts and labor.\nXXXXX  - We will cover the ignition switch as a courtesy but customer pays the labor.\n"

Can you please assist?

• For a single email notification type the from email address can be from the person who last modified the record. The person who last modified the record will be the person in your company who push the button to trigger the email getting sent. The advantage of that of course is that your client can respond to the email in a normal fashion and your employee will get the email.

As for not wanting the employee to modify the template, well if you give them a form to send the customer and you don�t give your inside Staff and fields to fill out then it will be a standard template

As for getting HTML text into an email notification, you can configure the standard email notification to send an HTML page. There are many free websites available where you can type in Rich a text and it will convert that Rich text into HTML. Then you simply copy and paste that HTML into your email notification.
  • Here is some help text on how to set up an email notification

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assis...

You can also set up a date time field called date email sent

You can then trigger of the email notification to Fire when the checkbook�s field is checked and you can also set up a form rule that when the record is saved and the checkbox field has changed to change the date email sent Peel to the current date and time.

When I get a chance I will post back with the formula to create a button that will check that check box and also set the email sent daytime field to the current date and time. Meanwhile you could get the email notification built.

Post back when you get that working and that will be a reminder for me to post the formula.
      SalesInfo
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training,

I still would not know why the email button is not working. Can you please dig into this method and help me figure out why this is not working for the long text body?

Thank you!
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Here is an example of code to toggle a checkbox and set a date /time field to the current date time

var bool NewToggle = not [my checkbox field top trigger an email Notification];

var text URL =
      URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid () & "?act=API_EditRecord&rid=" & [Record ID#]
      & "&apptoken=xxxxxxxx" // or omit this line if you have disabled the need for application tokens.

& "&_fid_12=" & $NewToggle;
      & "&_fid_13=" & urlencode(Now());

"javascript:" &
      "$.get('" & 
      $URL & 
      "',function(){" &
      "location.reload(true);" &
      "});" 
      & "void(0);"

You will need to change the 12 and 13 to your own field IDs.
  • To answer your original question, I believe you are reaching the maximum character limit for the mailto: command via Outlook.

Try using the email notifications as Mark suggested, copy the Send test email URL path and put that into a formula URL for your users to use as a button