JeffAmmon
Qrew Member
7 years ago

Need help mapping 2 fields during form filling

Hi

I have 2 tables. 

1. Project
2. Sub Projects - This is related to 1 in one to many relationship

For e.g. a project could be "Product". A sub-project could be "Product Harmonization", etc

Now I have a 3rd table called Action Item. 

While creating an action item, I want the user to choose a Project, and then choose a sub-project which only belongs to that specific project. How do I do that?

I have mapped Project -> Action Items and it allows me to choose a project
I have mapped Sub-Project -> Action Items and it allows me to choose all sub projects. 

Problem is that one project has a lot of sub projects, i only want dropdown to display the sub projects belonging to that Project. 

Thanks

2 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    You will want to see the [Related Sub Project] field to be conditional.

On the Action Items table, find the reference field from the Sub Projects to Action Items.
    its most likely called [Related Sub Project].

When you edit the field properties, you will see a checkbox 

Use that checkbox, and then in your case select from the dropdown "Related Project"
    In my image it has [Related Client]

Then you will only see the sub projects, connected to that master project.
    ChrisChris
    Qrew Assistant Captain

Projects would be parent to sub-projects.

Project and Sub-Projects both would be parents to Action Items. It is in the Action Items record where you would select the project, then the dependent list of Sub-Projects.

In the Action Items table, go to the properties for the Related Sub-Items foreign key field. Go to the Reference Field Options section: Conditional Values.

Check the box, "The values in this field depend on selections in another field".

Two selection lists will open.

Match "Action Items: Related Project" with "Sub-Projects: Related Project"

Save the field settings.

In the Action Items form, you will have dependent selection lists between Project and Sub-Project.

In the Sub-Projects table, when you enter Sub-Projects, you will select the Project it goes with. This is what forms the relationships between Project and Sub-Projects.

Let us know how it goes.