Forum Discussion

GauravSharma3
Qrew Commander
8 years ago

Need to increase the columns width of Grid Edit Report

Hi Team,

I have a Grid Edit Report and I want to increase column width of this report (see attachment). I know we can do it with the help of IOL technique but need some guidance in that way.

I have seen some solutions on community to create the formula fields to use some HTML but that will not work for my work as I have to use this grid edit report for updating multiple records.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thanks,
Gaurav

18 Replies

• The only way I have done this is to customize the Grid Edit Report Field Column Properties to add ________ on the end of the Field Names.  This means the basic grid gets larger.  Since Column Properties are a report-only feature; it only affects that one report, in this case the one used for Grid Edit.  

If you are doing the grid editing within a record (embedded report), you most likely won't want the _____ to appear on a regular-embedded report, so consider using one report /Report Link field for Grid Edit-only uses (Edit mode); and the regular embedded report for viewing only.  If necessary put your Grid Edit for data-entry into a separate Form.
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Is this an "embedded" report, or a custom Grid Edit report?

Most of the time it automatically resizes for me, but if you have a lot of columns then it can only resize so much...
  • I did a quick test and built a formula-URL button with this format and it launches my pre-built report with custom-report-column properties set.

URLRoot() & "db/" & Dbid() & "?a=q&qid=6&dlta=mog~&ridlist=61893&qskip=0&navBack=true"

which generated my report looking like this.  The age formula column has a space between the field name and the __________, hence the splitting

• If you are familiar with the IOL technique, then you can restyle the width of the columns within your script. 

Select each column by its field ID in the table and then set its width to whatever you want, it looks like this: 
    // Insert where needed  $('.gridEmbCell [qbfid="148"]').css({'min-width':'400px'})  // insert the field ID you want to make larger after "qbfid="  // set your width with 'min-width'
    This will restyle each column based on its field ID if you call your IOL script on the grid edit report.

I will note that this will not fix the size of the input boxes.
      GauravSharma3
      Qrew Commander
      Wao.. Thanks, Sam. It works for me. As I am aware of the IOL Technique So, it is very easy for me to implement.

Thanks,
      Gaurav
  • Just sharing. I dropped a grid edit onto a form and was having an issue with my long text field columns being too short as well. I only have two fields that require longer text entry, so the entire table fits well within the browser window.

I changed the default value for the fields to provide a short explanation as to what should be entered into the field. For example, "Enter a short description of the defect that occurred."

That caused the columns to widen to accommodate the length of the entry without the unsightly underscore on the field name.  This may or may not be helpful for your application, but for those who are having the same issue as I am, this might be a simple solution. Good luck!
      GauravSharma3
      Qrew Commander
      Good. But, I have created a Grid edit report and it needs a different solution. I am trying now the above solution (Sam C).

Thanks,