Forum Discussion

_anomDiebolt_
Qrew Elite
7 years ago

Sacrebleu

Sacrebleu, QuickBase now available in French

10 Replies

• 100% QuickBase - no external services whatsoever.

Just using a Service Worker stored in a code page.
    MichaelGraham2
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Id love to know how you do this. I live in Spain and it would be extremely useful to translate into Spanish.
  • Amazingly it is done using just a code page containing JavaScript which implements a Service Worker which monitors all network traffic and substitutes language strings when required and BEFORE the browser starts rendering the page.

I bet you didn't know browsers (in Chrome, FireFox, Opera now Edge in development) could do that trick.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=awUgAqR...
  • I would love to make a test in portuguese. it is possible Dan.

Does this implementation reduces is some way the speed?
  • No substantial impact as substitution of language tokens occurs client-side BEFORE page even starts rendering - so there in no jank. At conference today on tablet so will follow up later.
  • Som thoughts about PORTUGUES AND QUICKBASE:

Language can be understood perfectly without diacritical. Short message are widely spread and don�t use them.

Some banks (Ex a Caixa) do not accept diacritical�s in the transaction!!!!

Most important setbacks:

a. - Not being able to filter words with diacritical�s.

What I do in some cases I have to Data fields. One with diacritical�s to view en another one without just to filter.

Would be nice to have a javascript code to substitute before importing and transforming csv.

I use some regex such as

var valorFormat = row["valorUnitario"].replace("R$", "\ ");

var valorFormat2 = valorFormat.replace(/\s+/g, '');

csv_line.push(valorFormat2);

But have not managed to be consistent in the transformation.

Would be nice to be able to substitute while writing, in SOME ESPECIAL DATA FIELDS THAT YOU PREVIUSLY KNOW YOU ARE GOING TO FILTER

b. - After importing something from excel etc. Database gets corrupted with strange signs.

Most of this things can be solved by Orienting customers how to set browsers and excel, but there is no a One Place to look at, so we learn by experimentation.

ONE IMPORTANT THING: CSV formatting here in brazil is a little bit crazy and does not seem to follow a strict standard. Sometimes comma sometimes semi coma.

When exporting form excel you must now what CSV format to use (WINDOWS CSV).
    Find difficulties in Using quick base native synchronise CSV for that reason. I don�t use it a lot because i usually transform before importing

c. - Most users get paralyzed when they see a pop up in �ENGLISH�. 

There are few pops up so when they learn what it is it is ok. Even though for a deployment I think that service worker translation can be a solution.

There isa standard Brazilian keyboard used and if so are there special keys or key combinations used to enter diacritical characters?

YES

Brazilian formatting conventions are used for (a) date and time and (b) currency values (where are comma's and periods used)?

Date ddmmYYY
    Number xxx.xxx.xxx,xx

4.- In some cases you have to create an extra Formula Field to get things done in table to table import etc but is quite simple.

_anomDiebolt_
      Qrew Elite
      I read your fully reply - I think we can address all of these issues satisfactorily. 

The only think I can't address is the encoding of QuickBase's pages which is Windows-1252 not the more common UTF-8. There is some voodoo going on which I don't completely understand as this is a bit of an esoteric topic.

When I did the English to French conversion it overlapped in time with QuickBase's move to new servers and at various times people were reporting the dreaded REPLACEMENT CHARACTER showing up randomly and QuickBase pages were at different times reporting  a charset of Windows-1252 and UTF-8. That problem has been fixed in terms of the user interface but there are some things I don't completely understand about Windows-1252 and why QuickBase is even using it.

Hey I got an idea - let's conjure my favorite community manager and product manager by name and see what they have to say:

�������������������������������������

Hey Evan Marrtinez and Sam Jones why is QuickBase using Windows-1252 encoding and what are the plans for using UTF-8?
      U+FFFD � REPLACEMENT CHARACTER used to replace an unknown, unrecognized or unrepresentable character
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specials_(Unicode_block)
  • I am pretty sure we can do this project:

Convert QuickBase from English to Portuguese  using a Service Worker and develop the Brazilian market.
    Diacriticals  can be removed with this simple code:
    var str = "�, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �, �";
    str.normalize('NFD').replace(/[\u0300-\u036f]/g, "") // "c, a, e, i, o, u, a, e, o, a, o, a"
    I am an indefatigable (infatig�vel) researcher and living in a university town I have a lots of resources available to me. I joined a Portuguese Meetup to get access to native speakers and pick their brains on language issues. Earlier this week I had a chance to bounce my technical ideas off of some local developers and I didn't get any negatives on my proposals.

Last night I went to two meetups back-to-back that had un-conference style themes (bring your own topics) and I openly asked about non-English Web sites and got some useful information. At the second meetup the guy sitting next to me was a developer and  miraculously revealed he spoke Portuguese. He even said he knew a lot of other developers who spoke Portuguese! So I asked him is there some type of community of where you meet and his answer blew me away: They have a local soccer league where they congregate. Why didn't I think of looking for that!!!

This project is go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBDoNBNMro

• I created a demo so show you how easy this is. The screenshots below show before and after entering Portuguese text with diacriticals into a multi-line text field:

De-Diacriticalize ~ Add New Record
    https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bnhqmckjd?a=nwr

Pastie Database
    https://haversineconsulting.quickbase.com/db/bgcwm2m4g?a=dr&rid=641

Notes:

(1) Funny:  To get the demo to work I changed the event from "input" to "blur" because every time I pasted Portuguese into the <textarea> the script immediately fired the input event and removed the diacriticals without ever seeing the Portuguese. So I changed the event to blur to slow down the conversion process and grab a screenshot.