Forum Discussion

JackFretwell
Qrew Assistant Captain
6 years ago

Select query equivalent

I'm very much used to SQL, Quickbase is very new to me.

I want to look up a value from a table based on a string, this is for a mailing house and I build the string up depending on the post carrier, weight of item, quantity etc.  I'd like to create a query or formula that can do this from a field formula.

Before I would just: 
SELECT cost FROM data_tbl where product = 'MyString'

I'm baffled by what I'm seeing with Quickbase. 

9 Replies

• The usual method in QuickBase for this type of thing would be to create a formula-text field that builds your string. Then use that field to filter a report on the table. There are API methods available to do this type of thing also depending on the desired output/use of the data in the query.

Hope this helps,

~Rob
      JackFretwell
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Thanks, I have the string built and held in a field, I then want to use this field value in a look up table, I want to retrieve one value back, I was hoping to steal some code and adapt it, I was working with some thing like this. 

<query>{'16'.CT.[ProductCode]}<query>

This is my 2nd day with the product so still a novice and there doesn't appear to be a manual.  I can't see where I define what table I want to be queried.
      RobIV
      Qrew Cadet
      That syntax is used when calling an API. Are you calling the �API_DoQuery� method, or trying to work from within a report on a table?