Forum Discussion

Ma__IsabelGuman
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

Set a default value for field date based on another field's value

Hi. I have a date field which should show as say "08-01-2019" in my form depending on another field's value. For example, if a field named Event is equal to "Day of Sale", then my date field should show "08-01-2019". If Event is equal to "3rd Meeting", then my date field should show "09-05-2019" and so on. Also these dates should not be available for edit. Please help how to set the formula date field.

4 Replies

• One way to do this is with form rules.  Have a formula field calculate the probable date value.

Then have a form rule that says

when my date field is blank,
    change the value to the value in the formula field.

Uncheck the checkbox at the bottom of the screen so that the rule fires all the time.

• The issue with the form rule method is that it relies on the User to edit a record to trigger.  I would recommend a daily automation to run a table-to-table import that updates that one field with the value of the formula.  Also, any record change that would modify the formula value to another value; should trigger a date/time field update in the record.  This can then trigger an automation to update the entry value to the value in the formula; which would be more "real time" than a daily table-run.  All 3 options running together should keep everything as current as it could possibly be.