Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Make entire form not editable based on dynamic rule

Posted 10-15-2021 10:53
    Is it possible to lock a form from being edited, based on a dynamic rule? Or do I have to individually select every field to be read only?

------------------------------
    Michael Tamoush

• 2.  RE: Make entire form not editable based on dynamic rule

Posted 10-15-2021 10:55
    You can use roll permissions to lock a record for editing. Make a formula field that determines whether or not the record should be locked for editing and use that as a custom permission rule.

but other than that if you want to prevent all the fields on a form from being edited then he would need to lock them one by one in a giant form rule.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Make entire form not editable based on dynamic rule

Posted 14 days ago
    Hi, Mark

I've seen many solutions from you and I was wondering if you could give me some guidance. I am wanting to prevent editing of a record on a particular form if a) the user is the record owner and b) if a particular field has a particular value (e.g., relation to head of household = "self"). I can do this field by field using a dynamic form rule, but there must be a more elegant solution.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thank you in advance

• 4.  RE: Make entire form not editable based on dynamic rule

Posted 14 days ago
    Edited by Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach) 14 days ago
    np,
    Your instincts were correct. Yes there is a better way. You're not really trying to prevent editing of certain fields on the form you're really trying to prevent the editing of a record.

So that would go back to the role permissions for the role that the user is in. You can set up a custom permission rule for modify. If the native drop downs for how you can configure the custom rule aren't flexible enough for you then you can always make a formula field called  [Allowed to edit?]  .... and then you can get crazy complicated with your formula. Then base the Role Custom Permission rule based on that one checkbox field.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: Make entire form not editable based on dynamic rule

Posted 14 days ago
    Please disregard my question. I considered your earlier suggestion regarding formula field and that was my solution. Thank you