Forum Discussion

MalcolmMcDonald
Qrew Cadet
2 years ago

Grouping on a child field

I figured out how to build an employee churn report using a metrics table that's a parent of my employee table and formula queries (thanks quickbasejunkie!) but am stumped on how do grouping or filters based on a multi-select list on the employee table. 

For additional context, the churn report currently shows me the whole company's churn result by month, but I need to group it by team. My team leaders just see their team's results because I have their access to the employee table tuned - but I don't have an overview. 

thanks in advance!

------------------------------
Malcolm McDonald

3 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger
    Are you saying that you have a multi select text field and it does not work properly as a dynamic filter?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MalcolmMcDonald
      Qrew Cadet

Hi Mark – Not quite..

The report "Churn" is on the parent (Metric) table and I'm looking to group the results based on a "team" field that resides on the child (Employee) table.

The Churn Report is a combination of summary fields across the relationship, and direct formula queries to the child table. It works spectacularly at a whole company level, but I'd like to break it down one row per team.  The # of teams I have is fluid but more than 10 at any given point .. so rather than setting up and maintaining individual summary fields by team, I'd like to figure out some way of cross-table grouping. 

In this below example, I have everything sorted except the team column – instead all I have the results of the totals row:

Month

Team

# Active Employees Start of Month

# Active Employees End of Month

Avg # Employees

# Employees Terminated

Churn

June

A

33%

B

20%

C

20%

Totals

25%

Again, if the team lead of Team B (say) looks at this report, they only see the team B's results because of how I've tuned access to the employee table...but we'd like to see, at a glace, which team is doing well, and which needs help.

Hope that makes it clearer!  Thanks again,  M

MarkShnier__You
        Qrew #1 Challenger
        I think that someone would need to look at this on a one on one basis. There's not enough information here for me to understand the tables on their relationships and where the numbers come from.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com