Forum Discussion

JenniferJennif1
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

Can the selections from a multiple choice Text field be narrowed based on logged in user's role?

I have a Tasks table with a field called Task Name set as a Text - Multiple Choice field. In the Users section I have defined two different Roles. When a User clicks on the Task Name field to select a choice, I want them to only be able to see tasks that apply to their Role and not a huge list.

10 Replies

KingslySamuel1
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    I have asked the same question before, and have been told that is not an option. Not sure whether the QB team has updated it in any way recently. But, I agree. This will be a useful option to have.
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    You will want to create a "Task Options" table.

Connect it to your "Task" table, where each Option has many Tasks.  

Then you have essentially created your options dropdown. 
    Each Option will need to be its own record, but here is where you adjust the 'visibility'.

On the Options table, you will want a 2nd field called "role".  Then have a multiple choice for your 2 roles.  Create all the Options with the appropriate role assignment.

Then in the Roles & Permissions setting for those two roles, make the view option a custom rule, to only show when the field 'role' matches 'x'.

Now you have dropdown that is filtered by roles.

Cheers,
  • Matthew, how does this work when a user views a record which someone else in another Role has entered.  I would be concerned that the drop down would be blank when viewed.
      MCFNeil
      Qrew Captain
      Instead of restricting the view, just group the dropdown by the role.  So you'd have all of one at the top, and the other at the bottom.

Just curious, if a formula text field, is using a value from a restricted lookup, does it still show up, or would it be blocked?  Maybe you can convert the dropdown to a formula text field and display that.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      If its a formula text field, there is an option on formula fields to ignore "sub field permissions". Not sure if that solve the problem though.