Forum Discussion

MaryMary1
Qrew Member
8 years ago

How do I move fields in an existing app?

I am creating a table that has multiple fields that are the same. I thought I was good with four duplicates and realized I need more. I added the fields but they are not in the correct order:

Example:

"Pre-Assessment Coder Assignment" (X5)

"Pre-Assessment Coder Provider Count" (X5)

I currently have the above fields X4 and need to move the 5th to be sequential.

5 Replies

• Hi Mary,

Go to table settings, select the form you want and from the elements tab you can move the field up or down, add new fields and if you select the check box next to the filed it will put it on the same row as the filed above it.

See attached image I have included all three main screens you will need to navigate through.

please let me know how this works out.

Best,
  • Can you help me understand the context?  Move in a report or in a form?
    Also, why do you need to duplicate these fields?
  • Leo, I don't understand (tried to add a screen shot but can't). I have multiple fields that have the same name. (my coders have multiple specialty assignments and I am tracking the specialty and count. They can have up to 5 so I need a column for each one. How do I move a field up?
  • Hi Mary,
    Yes, it is unfortunate that you can add a screenshot to a comment, I've also been there. I am happy to help walk you through, please feel free to reach out to me at leo@workablesolutonsllc.com or you can call me at 925-200-9487
    Best,
  • Hi Mary,

I'm new to QuickBase but not to application development.  I just wanted to say that if you have multiple fields with the same name, you are probably designing your solution in a way that is not the most efficient. 

I would guess you need to break those fields out into separate tables and relate them, then aggregate the data for your reporting concerns.  (That is my opinion because you are using QuickBase, which is built on top of a relational database structure.  I would otherwise introduce lots of other fun things, such as NoSQL and whatnot, but I digress..)

I don't know details of your specific concern, so I can't offer a solution, but you might find the following software engineering principal to be useful:

DRY - Don't Repeat Yourself

If you dive into that, you'll soon arrive at another concept known as Normalization that might help you re-think your current solution.

Maybe not.  I'm just trying to be helpful.  :)  

These principals will help you in the future, whether you decide to go full-nerd or not..  ;)

Thanks,

~Rob