Forum Discussion

ArchiveUser
Qrew Captain
6 years ago

How to have multiple updates associated with a related record

New user here and I have a table called records which is a list of items we update regularly and a table named new updates that I can add from the records table. The updates table form pulls in related record name but i need to be able to have multiple new update records associated with the related records. How would I set that up so I can do that.

thanks a bunch

9 Replies

• I'm trying to understand your question.

It sounds like it may be a many to many question.

Are you saying that one Item can have many Updates, but also 1 Update many apply to multiple Items?

• Not really.  You still seem to be simply saying that 1 Course can have many Course Updates.

What else do you need than that?  It is difficult to read those screen shots on this forum.
  • when i add an update using the blue button  in the course record box it opens up to a new update record with the "related record" field pre populated and I can save with no problem once I fill all the fields in but when I need to do another update for the same related record I get an error message saying not possible.  See below:

• That would have been helpful information to include in your original post. :)

Per the error message, I suspect that you have accidentally flagged the [Status] field as being unique in the field properties.  You might have intended to click the other checkbox of being Required.

Unique means that value can only exist once in all the records in that whole table.  That is not likely what you would ever actually want for a field called [Status].

• Ok I found it and it has a key by it. I cant seem to get rid of it. 
  • That is now very confusing.  You will need to explain your relationships. Which are the One and which tables are the Many in your relationships.

The table that has that Status field has the Key field of the table set to be the status field.  That tale can not be used then as a child in a relationship as that does not logically make sense.