Forum Discussion

AlexGale
Qrew Captain
6 years ago

Set up a dynamic filter on a report in Parent table based on content in Child records

My child table has ~50 possible values for a required text field. Each parent record has children representing some combination of these text values. Is there a way to set up a dynamic filter for a report on the parents table that would list all these possible values and enable users to filter by parents which are related to child records that contain specific values?

10 Replies

• I don't have a way to allow a Dynamic Filter, but I do know a way to search / filter via the filter box at the top of the report, if that is useful.
      AlexGale
      Qrew Captain
      I did set up something like that, but feedback has been that using the dynamic filter feature would be a lot easier & more intuitive. 
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Then  what about the Suggestion to use a Summary report which hyperlinks to the Parent
  • I am sure you must have thought of it and that you wanted this report to be on the parent table, but just from a report perspective, you can achieve the same result (report with these dynamic filters) in a child table, can't you?
  • .. building  on what Kigsly said above, you van use a Summary Report on the child table to get the result you are looking for.  It is also possible to provide a link in the summary report which will take you to the Parent record instead of the children, as your goal is to get to a Parent, I believe.
      AlexGale
      Qrew Captain
      I've built the summary report and I'm finding it works fairly well. What I can't figure out is how to provide that link to the Parent record you're talking about. Do you mind elaborating on how that is done?
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      ... always hectic to fly.  I'm now in the air with Wifi.

You can make a Hyperlink to the Parent on the child table and do your summary on that Hyperlink field instead of the [Parent name] field.  It will be a Rich Text field type.

I ways do my hyperlinks in this format to keep it KISS.

var text Words = [Parent name from lookup];

var text URL = URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_PARENT] & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Related Parent];

"<a href=" & $URL & ">" & $Words & "</a>"

The _DBID_PARENT will be from the Advanced Properties of the Parent Table. 
  • I do like the suggestion of putting the report on the child table instead. Ideally this would have been combined with an existing report I have on the Parents table but I knew that might not be possible.