Forum Discussion

MosesBlumenstie
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

Record Creation Delayed

I have a URL which creates two related records, via an automation, and returns the user to a page.  It definitely seems as if there is a small delay between clicking this button and when one of the records shows up in a report.  For instance, if I click the button and land on the page, and then immediately click a link to go to a report the new record does not appear.  But if I wait a moment it does appear.

This is problematic.  Any suggestions?

7 Replies

• No suggestions. Known issue. Automations run in actual real time. We have a use case where an automation changes a status when a checkbox is ticked on save, and returns the user to a view form of the updated record. It took them a matter of days to understand and internalize that they'd have to manually refresh the page to see the updates being done, since the page load will happen faster than the automation runs.

I haven't seen/heard that there is any concrete plan to address this (confirmed, understood) issue.
  • Good to know.  A solution might be to code some custom ajax to check for the record and not forward the user until it exists.  If I end up doing that I will post some example code here.
  • The usual solution which works really well when you land the user on a record with an embedded report, is to contrive to have that embedded report in a tab which is not visible normally when the record is displayed. By that I mean it�s not on the Main tab.

This then requires the user to click on the tab to see the embedded trial table. By the time they click the tab the children will probably be there.
      AlexCertificati
      Qrew Cadet
      Actually with the new default behavior for down-page reports not to load until needed, the embedded report likely need not even be behind a tab. This is a great point.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Right, if the embedded report is lower off on the form then it will not pull the records until they come into focus.

Also by the way, at last year at EMPOWER where they started to show automations on the main stage in front of 800 people, they pulled that trick by putting the child records in a tab so that it would not exhibit that �delay issue� in front of 800 people. That was before the scroll and load feature was widespread but of course they enabled it for their demo app.
  • Thanks for the response.  I guess the problem is that in either case I need to make the user take action -- either scroll down or click a tab -- in order to see the new record.  I don't think it's the best solution but I guess it's an easy one.  If I'm feeling motivated I may still try to do something with AJAX.