Update Parent record from child records - multiple child records, multiple child tables

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
I have a parent table called "jobs". I have several different child tables that are different types of requests for people to perform related to a job. On the job parent table are five different multiple choice fields that represent the "status" of five different aspects of a job.

What I want is for people that create a child record to see what those five status fields are at the time they create the record. I can do this easily via the relationship and lookup fields. However, I also want them to be able to change those status from the child record they are on without entering the parent record itself. These various status may or may not be directly related to the creation of the child record, but are critical fields that I need viewed and updated regularly. I need them to be able to be changed from EITHER the child records, or from the parent record itself where they are located.

Currently, I do this with a report link to a grid edit report of those 5 status fields that is included on the child table forms. However, that can't be used on the mobile version, and there are other aspects I don't like about it.

One aspect of the grid edit report that is a positive for me is that the results shown are always current. As my child tables are essentially tasks created by one employee and sent to another, each one may or may not have a need to update one or more of those 5 parent table fields. So if the first employee creates the child task and makes a change to the parent status record, the next employee that opens the child record will see the most current status. They can then make any changes they need.

Any suggestions?

Photo of Drew

Drew

• 522 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Arshad Khwaja

Arshad Khwaja

• 3,152 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Hey Jack, do you have to have a button to update the record and you cannot directly change the value of a parent field in the child table?