Forum Discussion

MatthewMatthew3
Qrew Cadet
7 years ago

Zapier Zap - Form Fields to New Table Row Addresses Not Working

I have stumbled onto an issue regarding a new Zap that I created for QuickBase Application. To avoid the issues associated with utilizing the HTML Form Wizard on QuickBase's website (especially with as dated as it is and needing to import into multiple tables simultaneously), I created a zap from my Ninja Form on my wordpress website to the QB App I am using.

EVERYTHING.... Worked great.... Until... I got to the Address.

I've tried multiple scenarios....

1.  Zapier Template to Address Parent Field Directly
  2.  Zapier Template to Each Individual Address Sub-Field Direclty
  3.  Zapier Template to Both Parent Field and Sub-Fields Simultaneously
  4.  Using Address 1 & 2 or Address 1 Only

None of the above seem to work. The data just refuses to cross over into the database, which is becoming quite inconvenient having to manually input addresses for every form submission that comes in, which is defeating the purpose of having this process automated.

Support seems to think it is an issue with Zapier. I however beg to differ... I can take those same form fields and get them to populate any other database field I want. EXCEPT Address Fields... I know that they are somewhat special compared to other fields... And I really don't want to have to re-create my secondary address field just have have data in the database and have to transfer that into the "Quickbase Address" field type every time either... That's just extremely redundant and not pretty.

Hopefully someone has experienced this before and can help assist me in finding a swift resolution to the problem, or an alternative solution. I am open to ideas, such as potentially using Workato or something else. But it's just kind of crappy that outside of this one problem it's all working else-wise.

13 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    Maybe a workaround to make it automatic still, is to use a QB Action to take copy the proper values.

Have the Zap write the values to regular text fields, and then have the action copy the values into the address sub-fields..

Just an idea to try.
      MatthewMatthew3
      Qrew Cadet
      So... When I went to make the action, it won't allow me to modify the record that triggered it. Only add a record to a different table, or a related record in a different table.

Is there some way around this or something I might be missing? I've created all of the sub field text values that can be copied over to the address field within quickbase already and setup the zap successfully to dump into those fields.

(still don't like the idea of this "workaround" but its better than nothing until this can get resolved. in my honest opinion this convoluted address field has caused me nothing but problems, from importing csv's to zaps to just simple data entry not being "compatible" due to formatting or the way the state name is used)
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      An ACTION can in fact edit the record its triggered by.  There is a "cheat" for this.  When it says edit related records, in fact it means edit the records defined by this report link field.

So the trick is to make a report link field which maps the [Record ID#] of the record you are on to the same app, then same field [Record ID#].  Obviously there can only be one record with the same record id that you are on.

Be careful in setting up the ACTION that you do not create a loop as an ACTION editing a record can trigger an ACTION to do that same edit again if you are not careful.  It will error out after 10 loops, but still have set up the conditions so that it does not loop.
      MatthewMatthew3
      Qrew Cadet
      So I make a RecordID Report Link field that goes...

Locations Table > Record ID to (Parent App) Locations Table > Record ID

Then I go into the action... And use that in the related record...

• One more thing I don't think I mentioned, but I also tried the combination including the Country and set it to default USA in the Zapier template. I also tried without it.
  • Matthew: I am curious how you have Ninja Forms configured. Are you submitting direct to QuickBase or are you going through Ninja Form's Zapier extension? The reason I ask is that Ninja Form's Web Hook extension appears to only support JSON and I can't see how to configure a form to submit to QuickBase directly. See

https://ninjaforms.com/extensions/webhooks/
      MatthewMatthew3
      Qrew Cadet
      I am using NinjaForms Zapier Extension to connect it using webhook to Zapier. From Zapier I just connect to QuickBase and add a row upon submission. It does not output in JSON format.

The number 0 is used because it is the default "calculation" for an empty field that gets modified by a conditional statement. I am taking a contact field and allowing the user to choose a checkbox "same as above" which in turn hides the fields when that condition is met.