Formula no longer working - any possible workaround?

  • 0
  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered

Hello QB Community,

I have a rather stumping issue that has recently presented itself and I have been unable to fix (has never been an issue until last week).  The below formula is no longer working as a report filter, instead, it returns the following errors: Operation took too long. Please try to modify this query by either including fewer matching criteria or fewer columns to display. and Unable to display report. The query will take too long to compute.

This is the formula:

ToUserList (ToUser ([Employee Email]),ToUser ([Manager Email]),[Alternate Employee User],ToUser ([HRBP1 Email]),ToUser ([HRBP2 Email]),[Alternate Manager User],[Alternate HRBP1 User],[Alternate HRBP2 User],ToUser([HRBP3 Email]),ToUser([HRBP4 Email]))

The gist of this formula is that it allows for an employee to submit or request a document on themselves; allows a manager to submit or a request a document on themselves or for any of their direct reports; allows an HRBP to submit or request a document on themselves or any manager/employee in the organization they support.  This information, of course, is imported into the QB so that the formula has something to look at.

The role that employees and managers are setup as have a custom view of the employee table data so that they cannot see anything that they're not supposed to.  For the sake of testing, I enabled "view all" records for the employee table data and still received the same errors.

I've worked with a few others on this and nothing we have tried has worked.  I was able to get our QB partially working again by only allowing the current user to submit and request a document on themselves, but that does not solve for also allowing the managers/HRBPs to do the same on other employees they support.

Would anyone know of another formula I could try or some other method to make this work?  The QB does have a fairly large amount of data in it, but it has always been that way and only until recently has it ever been an issue.

I appreciate any suggestions you might have, thank you!

Photo of bintu85

bintu85

  • 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 2 years ago

  • 0
  • 1
Photo of Matthew Neil

Matthew Neil

  • 31,678 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Official Response
This error happens when there is too many filters, or special formulas being used in the report filters.

QuickBase has a time limit when a report query is initiated.  You basically are exceeding the limit so it times out and gives the error.
So there are a few factors that are contributing to this, it is partially by the amount or records in the given table, that the formula has to evaluate so many different user fields, and that the report filters themselves cause the issue.

If you are still stuck you can try to make formula checkbox that is true if the current user is in the list. Then use that for the filters or other rules. 

If(Contains([Formula User Field], user()), true, false)