December 2017 Release Notes - New UI Coming

• Question
  • Updated 10 months ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
https://www.quickbase.com/quickbase-blog/december-2017-release-notes

They are finally doing it.  An upgrade to the UI.

And a much overdue upgrade to the Calendar Report.

I was worried QB was going to be left in the 2000s.
Photo of Matthew Neil

Matthew Neil

• 31,438 Points 20k badge 2x thumb

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training

QuickBaseCoach App Dev./Training, Champion

• 51,006 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Good stuff in this release and more importantly every release in the last 6 month or more has had really good stuff.

I like the improvements to formula box behaviour,
Tabs now work on Mobile.
New look and feel with make users feel like it has been freshened up.
Rich text field types
User management.
Better calendars.  Calendar entries Colorization has always been a challenge so we will see how that works.

Well, basically I like everything in this release. 

Kelly,
You could set up a new table with just 1 record in it for your fancy text with a Rich Text data entry field.  It will be [Record ID#] = 1.

Then make a formula numeric field in your details table with a value of  formula of 1 and make a relationship to the details table and then lookup your Rich text field down to the records to be used on forms and reports.
(Edited)
Photo of Kelly

Kelly

• 1,762 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Wow! I will have to try that just to see it in action!

Of course, that table with 1 record in it called perhaps Rich Text Fields can have many fields, and any of them can be looked up down into any of the detail record tables.  It does sounds like it could be a lot easier as a way to get static logos onto forms. 

Here is another example of using Rich Text fields.  I was just working on an app for a client which is replacing an excel sheet with lots of colored cells for the status of different stages of the project.

So for example there is a column for Payment status and the word "Paid" is there inn a typical Excel Green background shading format.

So since I'm all about low code no code, I made this Status field be a drop down choice pulled from a short list in a table of payment Statuses.  The Key to that field is words like "Paid", which gets that work pulled down into the project, but then I created a Proxy lookup field for that to show in View mode which is Paid in background shading green.  So now I have colored "cells" in my Quick base app without needing to write the formula top do background shading.  And if my client decides they want the words to appear differently, they can just edit the Rich Text themselves in my table of Payment Status choices.
Photo of Kelly

Kelly

I'm trying to piece that together in my head. Do you have a screen shot you can display?

Let's see if this works.  I will attach a screen shot of the choices for a drop down field, taken from a short list of choices in a table.

The point is that I was able to make those colored cells without any code.  Just a Rich Text field brought down as a lookup field 
Photo of Kelly

Kelly

That looks great! 
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Something changed today to an entirely new look with font sizes, colors, etc.  An entire new theme. However, the color of column headers and font colors make them unreadable.  How can we change them? 

Greg, you should re-post your question here. https://community.quickbase.com/quick... In the January release notes thread.
Photo of Greg

Greg

• 264 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Yup. Thank you.  I just found it.